About the School

Webster Primary Center
                 
School Hours: 
704 N. Main Street                              8:00 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.
Webb City, Missouri 64870                   Doors open: 7:30 a.m.                        

Phone: 417-673-6060
Fax: 417-673-6061





Webster School History
In the late 1880’s, the original Central school was found inadequate to accommodate the growing demands of the city.  The population of the city was moving northward and it was decided to build a new school in that section of the city. 
The original 4-room Webster School

Webster School was built in 1889 at a cost of $7500.  It was located at the southwest corner of Aylor and Allen (Main) Streets.  The original structure contained four rooms.  In 1900 two additional rooms were added and in 1906 Webster School was enlarged
from six to ten rooms and was connected to the city’s sewer system.  The new addition was ready on September 7, 1906. 
1910 Faculty
Circa 1910, Faculty, Webster School

In 1937 local citizens held a protest session with the Board of Education objecting to the unsanitary and unsafe conditions of the Webster School building.  The subject of a bond issue for the construction of a new building was brought forth.  Voters passed a $25,000 bond issue in the spring of 1937.  Issuance of the bonds was contingent upon appropriation of a $14,560 in matching funds by the Federal Works Project Administration (WPA).  That summer, Senators Harry S Truman and Bennett Champ Clark sent telegrams to local political leaders announcing the grant approval.  It was decided to start the school year in the old building, stating that it would take considerable time to draw up the plans for the new building.  Construction plans for the new school building were finalized in October.  Estimated cost was $37,000, $5,000 more than the original estimate. Demolition of the old school began in January 1938. The WPA hired local workers to build the new school. During construction, younger children were sent to school in nearby churches and the larger three grades attended classes at Franklin School.  The new building was ready for the 1938-1939 school term.
1937 Building
Webster School 1937 Photo contributed by Brad Spencer

A kitchen and cafeteria were added to Webster School in 1964.  Branham Brothers Construction Company of Neosho won the bid for these additions along with an additional bid of $510 to replace the vinyl floor tile with quarry tile.

In 1983 the school board adopted a reorganization plan in an effort to relieve crowded classrooms at Mark Twain and Eugene Field Schools where as many as 37 pupils were enrolled in a class.  Webster School had an average classroom size of 22 pupils. The plan designated that Webster was to become a first grade center for all the schools in the district.  

 A four-classroom addition to the school was completed in 1993 and in 1994 the school board called for bids on a construction project that would allow all of the second graders in Webb City to attend classes at Webster School.  This would reduce the class size in the primary grades.  In 1995 sixteen classrooms, 2 restrooms, an enlarged cafeteria and administrative offices were added to the school at a cost of $901,759.  The new Webster Primary Center was opened in September 1995.  Webster School has continued to grow with new offices added in 2001 and two additional classrooms added in 2004.

Webster Primary Center 2004

Source: http://www.jaspercountyschools.org/webb/id74.htm